Cataloger – Bibliomation, Inc. Are you looking for variety in a job? Are you looking for a job that showcases your many skills and knowledge? Bibliomation has an exciting opportunity for the right candidate. The position of cataloger is primarily responsible for all cataloging and maintenance of the bibliographic database. In addition to putting your technical skills to use, the position provides opportunity for direct member support with a Help Desk shift. Occasional responsibilities include training members in the CT. Digital Archives, OverDrive and Evergreen modules. The cataloger also serves as backup to the webmaster. The position is fully integrated into Member Services and works in concert with all three responsibility areas: Database Services, Help Desk Services and Evergreen ILS services. The successful candidate will have an accredited MLS and a minimum of 3 years library technical services experience. Knowledge of cataloging standards and resources required. Experience with library automated systems, writing SQL queries, working with WordPress, html preferred. The full job description is available at biblio.org/cataloger.The salary for this position is $50,000 with an exceptional benefits package, including the opportunity to attend regional/national conferences. Please email your letter of interest, resume and references in Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by April14, 2017. Bibliomation is located at 24 Wooster Ave., Waterbury, CT. EOE
Job Title: Cataloger
Grade Level: Grade 4
Full-time, salaried, exempt. 35 hour week.
Salary: $50,000 Exceptional benefit package includes medical, dental, retirement plan, vacation, life insurance and more.
General Description of Responsibilities:
The position is primarily responsibility for all cataloging and maintenance of the bibliographic database. The position offers additional variety through the provision of direct library support on the Help Desk; training of member libraries in the Connecticut Digital Archives; the OverDrive collection, and the Evergreen open source ILS. The cataloger serves as backup for the Webmaster.
Examples of Duties
- Transfers records from OCLC into system’s MARC database.
- Responsible for original cataloging in all formats, including contract cataloging for non-Bibliomation libraries.
- Loads MARC records for libraries with subscriptions for electronic books, audiobooks, and other digital formats. (Shared responsibility with the Database Manager.)
- Loads files of processed items for libraries that order shelf-ready barcoded material from vendors. (Shared responsibility with the Database Manager)
- Assists libraries in use of the MARC system.
- Implements procedures and policies for the maintenance of a high quality shared database.
- Monitors database content for problem areas and initiates corrective measures.
- Works independently on projects requiring judgement and understanding of the structure of the database.
- Adds content to the consortium OPAC (Notes on awards, prizes, etc.)
- Assists Database Manager in communicating with member libraries on database related issues.
- Provides back-up training support to the Database Manager as needed.
- Ability to write SQL desired.
- Awareness of metadata.
- Performs authority control work in the MARC database.
- Services member library issues by manning a Help Desk shift 12-5 Thursdays or as needed. Saturday, on-call, by rotation (every 5th week.)
- Provides training to member libraries in the use of the CT. Digital Archive (CTDA).
- Provides training to member libraries in the use of Evergreen modules and updates.
- Provides OverDrive training and support.
- Attends Maintenance and Circulation meetings.
- Provides backup support to Webmaster.
- Performs other tasks consistent with this level of responsibility.
Reports to the Database Manager. Works closely with the Help Desk Coordinator.
- ALA accredited Master of Library Science degree.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in library technical services in an automated environment.
- Knowledge of OCLC, MARC, LC, AACR, RDA standards.
- Understanding of broad concepts and procedures of acquisitions and serials control.
- Experience using OCLC Connexion preferred.
- Familiarity with library automated systems.
- Ability to write SQL queries preferred.
- Working knowledge of web tools – WordPress, html.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work alone and in a team setting.
- Highly developed organizational skills and flexibility to manage a variety of job tasks.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Strong commitment to customer service.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability and willingness to travel to state and national conferences as necessary.
- Ability to self-educate and to stay abreast of current and future trends.
- Ability to sit at a desk or stand and work continuously for extended periods of time while performing job functions.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
Probationary Period: 6 months